12.06.2007

December Overscheduling

What is it about this month that makes people decide to cram a whole bunch of stuff into just the first few weeks? I know that part of the Christmas fun is the crazy business, and for the most part, I'm excited about the upcoming events. It's just kind of comical how we all do this to ourselves, and it only seems to get worse as people have older kids with the plethora of concerts and plays and events to add to the pile. Here's our upcoming run-down:

Friday: Scrapbooking Night from 6-11. I can't cancel that again!

Saturday: Sean works 9-12 AM. Amy tutors from 1-5 PM. Ward Christmas Party at 6. Sean is singing and I'm doing a speaking part. He still need a costume and we both still need to practice. Also have food assignments, of course. Sean will be attending a work friend's "Fight Night" party after this--boxing and beer don't do much for me so I'm going to plead pregnant and get out of this part

Sunday: Normal teaching and calling stuff, followed by post church Enrichment run-through, followed by tithing settlement, followed by choir practice for both of us. Who knows when Patrick will get his nap.

Monday: Ultrasound and OB appointment. FHE--should probably teach our kid about the true meaning of Christmas.

Tuesday: Book Club at my house. We read "A Redbird Christmas" by Fannie Flagg. Sean working evening.

Wednesday: Youth activity night for both of us. Strike that--all of us.

Thursday: 10 AM set up for Enrichment. Make obligitory funeral potatoes at some point. Help finish painting candy cane ornaments in the afternoon. Enrichment at 6 PM. Sean working, so Patrick will be in the nursery--joy.

Friday: 7PM Ward Temple Night. Have not been in oh-so-long, and will soon be too pregnant to tolarate sitting, followed by nursing mommy mess. Must go this week.

Saturday: Watch Carson while his parents temple go in exchange for Patrick's care on Friday night. Wrap up any Christmas shopping odds and ends.

Sunday: Supervise YW teaching Primary this Sunday. This frees up the Primary leadership to go to RS twice a year (Christmas and Mother's Day) but not so much the YW leadership. Huh. Attend board meeting after church, while Sean attends ward welfare meeting. Also both of us attend choir practice. Again, no nap for the boy. Yay.

Monday: Sean potentially done working until the New Year! Woo-hoo. 9 AM dentist appointment. Will get yelled at about cavities, although not technically my fault. I brush, floss and rinse All The Time. I have wimpy teeth. Need to make Visiting Teaching appointments for this week.

Tuesday: 9 AM dentist appointment for Sean. He will get a gold star for his perfect, heavily flouridates teeth that I have to beg him to floss once a month and argue the merits of absolutely brushing twice a day. Also must clean house to sparkly perfection this day.

Wednesday: More cleaning/organizing/dejunking of house and closets. Gotta take advantage of husband home time. Also meal planning and shopping for holiday weekend.

Thursday: Sean's mom arrives for the holidays. And this is where the planned stuff drops off and the real fun begins. This is where we calm the heck down and do peaceful, Christmassy things. I know we should go look at some Christmas lights, and drink lots of wassail, and make cookies, but the planning doesn't so much have to happen after that. I'm excited for this part.

And even as I read this, I am sure I'm missing things and umpteen things will still get added. I'm not actually feeling overwhelmed though, more amused at how this month inevitably goes. Bring on the Christmas, right?

9 comments:

Desmama said...

Oh boy. You ARE busy. It makes me tired just reading this post. I wish I could take a few of these things off your hands!

Shmobby said...

Whoa. That is quite a to-do list! It'll make you appreciate the non-scheduled days afterwards for sure. But, as always, you sound amazingly organized!

Jenny said...

I think my brain just leaked out of my ear onto the keyboard.

Mad Hadder said...

Amy,
I am boggled that you haven't discovered www.thepioneerwoman.com yet!! She is far and away the best blogger. Also who is the librarian in Logan who got her degree in England? Friend of yours? I think I found her on Tanner's site or something. More info please on her. What's your email or don't you do it?

Anonymous said...

Looks familiar. The overscheduling of things is the one thing that gets me OUT of the Christmas spirit. This year we said "no" to a lot of those things (like work parties.) Good luck!!

mj said...

Wow. my head is spinning. you are a busy girl..dedicated but busy...good luck with that.

Kristeee said...

Wow - and you're pregnant and tired all the time too? Crazy woman! I hope there's some bubble baths and luxurious couch lounging in there, too!

Tasha said...

I hear ya!! I think you are smart to have just blogged it out. Then maybe it will be committed to memory and you won't forget anything. I swear my month looks a lot like that. These past two weeks have seriously almost done me in. But, I would have to say I am still suriving and I still love the season. Go figure. I do look forward to the end though that doesn't have so much going on and we get to do the quiet things of Christmas that we want to plan and do. Yay for those! Merry Christmas . . .and GOOD LUCK!!(especially being pregnant. You are a saint!)

Anonymous said...

I want to say thanks for the inadvertent compliment. It is nice to know you think things will calm down and be less hectic AFTER I arrive. This was not always so when I had inlaws for the holidays, or worse when I had to be the one traveling which happened more often. I was a little high strung because visits always seemed to include contention and judgements. Just to let you know, I have none of that on my day planner!! I will however hog all of Patricks time and maybe we will wear each other out and both sleep lots and lots??? I am getting so excited to see my cheeky monkey... almost like when you are a kid/believer and you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SLEEP ON CHRISTMAS EVE BECAUSE YOU ARE SOOOOOO EXCITED FOR ST. NICHOLAS TO COME!!!! Yep, its like that! Love to you all, and see you soon.